Monday, September 1, 2008

A Family Tradition....

This past Saturday marked the beginning of football season.  For as long as I can remember, my family has taken me to the OU football games.  Not only would my immediate family go, but also my uncles and their families on my dad's side.  I grew up going to home games, OU vs. Texas, along with several bowl games and away games.  I have to say my favorite away game trip with my family was to Notre Dame.  (Melinda you will appreciate this - I almost didn't go to Notre Dame because I didn't want to miss the big Hinton Fair.)  Clay jokes around about how he married me for my OU season football tickets.  (He comes from an entire family of OSU fans.)  Since we have been dating, OU football is a hobby that Clay and I have always enjoyed together.  We go to all the homes games and OU vs. Texas every year.  We have been to the Big 12 Championship game twice and last year we were able to go to the Fiesta Bowl thanks to Nathan.  With the baby coming we wonder how many games we will continue to go to together.  My mom has offered to keep the baby each game while we go, but we'll have to see what our financial situation looks like at the time.  Meanwhile, we went to the home opener Saturday with my brother Todd and his girlfriend Marlee.  Here are a couple of pictures from the evening.  

The Pride of Oklahoma....

The new HD Jumbotran screen....


Here they come....

Opening Kickoff    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU!
I'm sure that most of you know that OU was leading 50-0 at halftime.  The sky was starting to get dark.  Clay was preaching on Sunday and needed to go over his lesson.  So we decided we would leave at halftime and beat the storm and let Clay get back and work. There were tons of people leaving the game.  As we were walking out it began to thunder.  We had just got back to the car and inside safely when it started to POUR for about 15-20 minutes.  We were SO glad we were dry!  However, we were blocked in.  We thought surely with that may people leaving that one of those families would be in the car behind us.  To make a long story short, the family didn't come until after the game was over which was after the hour and a half rain delay!!  We were at our vehicle with no place to go for 2 1/2 hours.  However, we were laughing about it and not complaining because we were some of the very few people who were dry!  After about an hour and a half we walked to campus corner and ate dinner.  We figured being dry and listening to the rest of the game was better than being soaking wet and at the game.  Here are a few pictures of our boredom.
Todd and Marlee trying not to get splashed by vehicles that drove by.... 
He was ready to eat....
Goofing around....
Here is an 18 week pregnancy shot of me before the game.  I don't think I will be able to wear this size small t-shirt much longer!
All in all we had a great time at the game and we are really looking forward to this football season.  Boomer Sooner!!



2 comments:

Stacey Cannon said...

Aww I'm glad you guys got to go and had such a good time...and stayed DRY! As much as I'm an OSU fan, there is an OU branch across the street from me, and I am soooo tempted to start my Masters there. I may have to break down and do it; afterall, what are the odds of having an Oklahoma school right across the street from me!!!

Melinda said...

#1: it is REALLY REALLY sad that you almost gave up a chance to travel anywhere (even if it was N.D.) just because of the Hinton Fair. The Hinton Fair is great and all...but seriously?!

#2: You are still in a size small t-shirt and you are how pregnant? I hate you right now...I am not pregnant and am pretty sure a small t-shirt would not fit on me. : )